Wednesday, March 12, 2008

EXCITING NEWS!



Maryam drank water today! She had an ounce and a half from a bottle! It was a beautiful day to day here in The Deuce. So, this afternoon we all spent the day outside. Maryam was playing in her Jumperoo and I did some yard work while Mr. Bishop wandered the backyard. It was 87 degrees, she was dressed lightly and she started giving me her tell for being thirsty/hungry. She sort of opens and shuts her mouth while making a sucking sound with her tongue and lips. I went inside to get a bottle filled with water to attempt to put in her mouth. The exciting part is she actually leaned in for it! I sort of manipulate the nipple so that water squirts out of it into her mouth. I do this ALL the time, its the only way we can get water out of the bottle since she can't suck the nipple. I kept squirting it into her mouth and she'd lean in for it. She'd get a mouth full, swallow and open her mouth again! When she got enough she'd close her mouth or turn her head, but after a few seconds she'd want some more! This went on for about 2 hours and all in all she got an ounce and a half!!!! Hooray for Maryam!
Some of the moms in my Preemie Group (They are Internet Saints!) said there is a cup called a Honey Bear Cup with straw that is supposed to help control the flow of liquid going into the baby's mouth. I bought this tonight to see if it works for Maryam. If she'll continue to let me poor water into her mouth from a bottle, maybe this will be a good transitional tool. Wish us luck!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is exciting. Keep up the good work. Love, Marietta Oh, hope Brett is feeling better, now Ken is sick. Three straight weeks of one of being sick. It sucks!