Wednesday, May 20, 2009

CHOC days 15, 16 & 17

So, all I can think is that we "broke" Maryam on Sunday! Because starting first thing Monday morning she started eating! And by eating, I mean, EATING! She started taking in anywhere from 4 to 6 ounces at any given meal. Crazy! The dietitian told me today that Maryam actually hit her calorie goal on Monday! How GREAT is that? That means she took in 1200 calories! Woohoo!!! I'll find out tomorrow how she did yesterday and I'll probably find out Friday how she did today and Thursday!
Yesterday Melina came to lunch with an open cup. She told me that the therapists got together to try to figure out how to get Maryam to stop blocking the straw with her tongue and they decided to try an open cup again. They did this on the first week too and it wasn't successful. The plan is to fill the cup up with 10 to 15mls at a time and let Maryam see herself finish. Once we hoot and holler and tell her how wonderful she's doing she might gain momentum. Plus, she can't block with an open cup.
The first few meals the open cup worked like a charm, but all day today she didn't drink ANYTHING! At lunch she ate 5 ounces of food and drank 0! At dinner today I decided to go back to Honey Bear Cup to see if I can get some liquid into her and she drank 50mls. At snack she took in another 20mls, so obviously we made her thirsty!
We didn't hear today whether we'll have to stay a 4th week, I'm going to assume that we'll hear tomorrow. Frankly, I don't care either way. I'm here for her, so if we have to stay longer than so be it.

No comments: